Barcelona and Real Madrid suspend European Super League Talks

hi-res-69e08d04f6a5435934775c11db57c8ea_crop_north

Barcelona and Real Madrid have recently confirmed with the La Liga officials about their withdrawal from any involvement with a breakaway European Super League for the time being. The teams have decided to stay dedicated and focused towards their participation in Spain’s domestic division for the near future.

La Liga clubs held a private meet in Manchester over the past two days to discuss the details of building a more united approach domestically and also internationally. The intension of the meet is to achieve a growing financial strength of the Premier League.

La Liga’s director general of marketing, Adolfo Bara said that Barcelona and Real Madrid have given an amnesty in concern with the European Super League. He also mentioned about their future plans and global strategy. Both the teams have a stronger united approach and alignment for the growth of La Liga.

Bara came up with a series of presentations for the clubs in Manchester. They also visited the Etihad stadium of the Manchester City. The clubs were briefed about the benefits of a better collective approach for issues such as the sale of television rights and also the circulation of income.

The main motive of La Liga to call the clubs to Manchester was to organise a meet with the senior officials. The officers from different offices of different parts of the world were in the city for the Soccerex Global Convention. It was a great opportunity for the clubs to get acquainted with the beneficiary ideas of the officials.

There was a debate earlier this year on a European Super League which was followed by various news reports stating that some of the England’s leading sides held a meet to discuss their idea. According to the reports, Susana Monje, Barcelona’s financial Vice-president backed the idea soon after the meeting was held.

Two of the leading club’s of Spain have been the leading voices on the European Super League controversies since the first event of disapproval around 20 years ago.

Bara mentioned that the amnesty does not mean that the European Super League controversy is resolved. He also said that La Liga will maintain a careful relationship with two of the most powerful clubs in the world. The official pardon is a step towards settlement but not a complete resolvement of the issue.

He also stated that they share a love-hate relationship with Barcelona and Real Madrid. The motive is to maintain a strong hold of their national league to achieve a place in the Premier league with financial support. To convince both the clubs was definitely a tough task but they have decided to provide support as of now.

Bara said that among the two clubs Madrid is the more difficult one to deal with in the European Super League. Even though the team is committed to La Liga, they believe that they can achieve a lot more on their own which makes it a difficult task to convince the club to stick together.

The idea of a breakaway European Super League has been strongly opposed by La Liga and other members of European Professional Football Leagues. They believe that it would develop a negative impact on all national leagues across the continent.

Messi Injury Caused Barcelona To Tie With Atletico Madrid

e64388e12d714c6933bc9e18569c9cb4

Great scenes and tactics were displayed in the match between Atletico Madrid and Barcelona. The initial strategy fired by Ivan Rakitic for the Catalans put them on the lead. However, it was shocking to know that they got pegged back because of the Argentine substitute, just before losing the most substantial number ten spot, right at the second half.

Critics felt that Barcelona didn’t have Lionel Messi and it was because of his injury that triggered the match being drawn. But Atletico Madrid did a great job to tie the game at 1-1 at Camp Nou on Wednesday. It was well aware to the champions that a win can help them to reach within the points of the leading team Real Madrid as they had drawn a match with Villarreal. However, things didn’t go in the way Barcelona wanted as the first half header of Rakitic was just cancelled because of Angel Correa in the second period.

Even more damaging was done to Barca which is the loss of Messi. The constant recurrence of the groin issue Messi had made it impossible for him to take part in the match. Furthermore, even Sergio Busquets had to withdraw from the game, just an hour before the match started. Being unbeaten in the last 12 league matches, the Luis Enrique’s side showed how they can take control of Atletico. And they did much of it in the first half.

But they found it tough to get the clear-cut chances, right before Rakitic was able to head to the cross of Andres Iniesta from the short corner. A strong start was made by Atleti during the second period and was able just to snatch the given equalizer.

This was possible because of the substitutes Correa and Fernando Torres who combined within the minute of coming on. All this happened when Messi really failed with to get shake off the major discomfort that he got after his match with Deigo Godin.

Good Show By Atleti

Among the last four meetings, three were won by Atleti and that too during the season 2-1 as they were able to push harder to win. However, things didn’t go as it seemed because Diego Simeone’s side was able to keep them at bay, due to the relative ease involved in the closing stages. This helped in making sure that they were a point behind in the table and just four adrift to Madrid.

The early possession of Barca helped in getting some few necessary opportunities. And as Messi was curled to Oblak’s arm right from the 20 yards off the sight of the goal, it was up to Atleti to easily get the better of the opening present to them in the first-half. And they did it with ease.

Furthermore, Yannick Carrasco was able to put Ter Stegen right at full stretch by curling the given drive to the left of the penalty area just before Luis blasted right over the crossbar. This was 20 yards away from the Barca and after it was unsuccessful to clear the lines.

Naturally, it was disappointing for the home crowd even though Barca tried their best to gain a win.

Is Ronaldo Planning For Barcelona Membership?

3200602_heroa

Figo, the Portugal legend had his share of misfortune when he moved from Blaugrana to Real Madrid, some decades back. He now feels that the recent winner of the Best Player in Europe can do the opposite. According to Luis Figo, there are chances that Barcelona could sign Cristiano Ronaldo if the release clause of the Real Madrid star is triggered.

In 2000, this Portugal legend has famously crossed the Clasico divide, especially when Real Madrid gave him £37.2m for his buyout clause which was a record fee for any player at that time. The similar aspect could happen today, according to Figo. Ronaldo was recently crowned as the best player of Europe, now for the second time. And there are reports that his buyout clause in the Madrid contract is somewhat worth €1.5 billion [£1.25bn]. Figo feels that the possible switch to Barcelona is not off the cards for the compatriot.

How Figo Made The Jump?

According to the statement given by him to Record, this is a free market. If any contract has a termination clause, then anything can occur. He gave the best example from his experience when he moved out of the Barcelona club, 15 years back. The major and foremost reason for his change in the club was the amount of recognition he got from the Real Madrid’s president.

Furthermore, things were getting pretty serious in terms of his career. As soon as he got the offer, he immediately reported it to the Barcelona heads, so that they could improve his current contractor.  Now when Figo returned back to the Camp Nou and replace his jersey with the Real Madrid, after the major infamous move, it was shocking for him.

He was greeted by the deafening sounds of the Barcelona fans. Many of them showed banners that had words written like ‘mercenary’ and ‘traitor.’ Even the response from the Barcelona fans was hostile. Being a regular corner kick taker, Figo just took two corner kicks as he was scared that fans near the touchline could attack and injure him.

The incident was even clearly remembered by the former Real Madrid defender Ivan Campo. He clearly recalls that night, as his team lost the Clasico 2-0 to the Barcelona club. Frankly, as Figo went back that night, it was incredible.  This was something that he never heard anything. Of course, Luis didn’t deserve that. No doubt he had given his best for Barcelona. And the best part was the how media showed the mass hatred, adding the built-up and headlines like ‘a traitor’s coming’.

It was sad that the Luis Figo was degraded, even though he was one of the greats in the field of soccer. That night was quite tragic for him and he was deeply hurt. His head was bowed and he must have really thought in his mind, that he had played for them last season and why they were quite irritated with his decision. But the players from both the team had a huge amount of admiration for him and praised his guts.

So, if Ronaldo is indeed going to make the move to Barcelona, then he can expect people to forget his achievements, goals and the aspects he took for bringing the club to the esteemed position.