For a good running experience, buying the right kind of shoes is vital. The repetitive nature of running makes it necessary for the shoes you use to properly support your feet. Good running shoes are designed to support and cushion your feet for the forward running motion. Buying running shoes doesn’t have to be very difficult. This guide will give you some pointers on how to purchase the best running shoes.
Given below are the features of running shoes
- Arch support – The level of arch support varies and your requirement depends upon your foot type.
- Upper and toe box – The upper section of your running shoe is made of mesh, leather or some type of breathable synthetic material. The toe box is the area where your toes are, and they should allow your toes some room to breathe.
- Outer and mid soles – The outer sole is at the tip of the shoes and it offers traction when you run on slopes and allow your feet to roll forward easily. Midsole offers stability along the bottom and back of the toes.
To buy running shoes you must first be able to identify your arch type.
This will help you buy the best running shoes for your feet.
Normal foot: A normal foot lands on the outside of the heel and rolls inwards slightly to absorb shock. It’s the foot of a runner who is biomechanically efficient and therefore doesn’t need a motion control shoe. The best shoes for this foot type will be Stability shoes with moderate control features.
Flat foot: It usually indicates an overpronated foot – one that strikes on the outside of the heel and rolls inwards (pronates) excessively. Over time, this can cause many different types of overuse injuries.
Motion control shoes or high stability shoes with firm midsoles and control features that reduce the degree of pronation are the kind of shoes you should choose if you have flat feet. Stay away from highly cushioned, highly curved shoes, which lack stability features.
High arched foot: A curved, highly arched foot is generally underpronated. Since it doesn’t pronate enough, it’s not usually an effective shock absorber. The best high arched running shoes are cushioned (or ‘neutral’) shoes with plenty of flexibility to encourage foot motion. Stay away from motion control or stability shoes, which reduce foot mobility.
If you run on smooth surface like a treadmill or on the road or other even terrain, your shoes will have these features:
- Durable and well cushioned sole
- Lightweight and responsive
- Great shock absorption
- Offer good support and comfort
- Excellent flexibility
- Offers some traction and stability
TRAIL SHOES/ OFF-ROAD RUNNING SHOES
If you are a trail runner, you need heavier traction and more stability to run on rocky, root- strewn woodlands and other uneven terrain.
- Increased outsole traction
- Uppers come with toe bumpers
- Reinforced stitching for more durability
- Usually built light and low-to-the ground to move fast
- Less cushioning than a road shoe
- Absorbs shock, stabilizes the foot and returns energy
- Water resistant
- Oversized lugs to overcome mud and soft ground with ease
If you are a track and field runner, you will know that track spikes are unique. They are designed for speed and are specially used by track athletes. It is created without any cushioning which is generally not recommended in a running shoe. But the short duration of the track events makes it possible to eliminate cushioning without creating any negative effects. Coaches recommend spikes to keep the foot in proper position while running.
- A set of sharp ceramic or metal spikes screwed into the front of the shoes for aggressive traction
- Exceedingly lightweight
- Curved and tapered toe
- Breathable mesh uppers with supportive overlays
- Should fit your feet like a sock
There are 3 basic types of track spikes for different racing distance.
- For sprinters up to 200 meters
- For middle-distance runners of 400 to 800 meters
- For distance longer than 800 meters
The spike plates are of 3 types depending on the track surface.
- Smooth plastic for hard tracks
- Shark teeth for softer, rubberized surfaces
- Plates with lifters designed for sprinters racing on their toes
RUNNING SHOES FOR MEN
When you run, your body absorbs a force of about three times your body weight every time you hit the ground. You need the right shoes to protect you from all the pounding. You can go for the shoes which give you enough stability and cushioning depending on the surface on which you prefer to run.
RUNNING SHOES FOR WOMEN
Ladies, if you are searching for a good pair of running shoes, first you need to agree that running is a low-tech and low-hassles sport. It can help you lose that stubborn baby fat by just devoting some time to run and invest in a good pair of shoes. Or if you are just looking to be fit, this is the best exercise to burn calories. You need not spend a fortune on buying a good pair of shoes for yourself. All you need is one which is best suited to you. There are shoes with light cushioning and gives you enough support and stability as you run. It makes you feel good after all the running you have done as that is the key to enjoy it.
RUNNING SHOES FOR KIDS
Kids love bright colors. The coolest running shoe for kids comes in an array of fun colors that kids will just adore. We have a wide selection of funky shoes for your little one which will make their feet looking picture perfect. These kids’ shoes provide excellent support and cushioning for their feet to absorb shock as they run. Some kids prefer to walk and run barefoot and we have shoes which will give them the exact feeling of being barefoot. Whether they are jumping across or running in the garden, it will give them freedom, flexibility and enough underfoot space to move.
When buying running shoes online, you can check out our website www.sports365.in to choose from an array of brands like Nivia, Kalenji and many more.